The honours course in Mathematics was started in the college in the year 1986. There are two permanent faculty and other guest faculty to take care of the students. Total no. of seats in Honours course is 28. Department maintains a consistently good academic record in the university examinations.
- There exists a close relation between teachers and students in the department.
- Tutorials are taken at regular intervals for the academic upliftment of the students concerned.
- Students are given assignments on different topics to keep them occupied during vacations.
- Besides Central Library the department also maintains a Library for textbooks for the benefit of the students.
- Special lectures and seminars including UGC sponsored ones are organized at regular intervals on different topics related to the honours curriculum. Students are also taken to other institutes for attending lectures whenever such opportunities arise.
- Two faculty members of the department are involved in a Major Research project with financial support from Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi.
- Every student in the department is encouraged to give seminars on topics related to the course to have confidence and grasp over the subject.
- Students of the department take part in various college activities like publication of departmental magazine, wall magazine, wall posters, social work and cultural activities.
- The department organizes parent - teacher
meeting from time to time to appraise the
guardians about the progress of their wards.
Mathematics is the core subject for all Science and Technology combinations. So, an Honours Degree in Mathematics is not only a prerequisite for studying Post Graduate Courses in Mathematics in various Universities, it is also a prerequisite for pursuing further studies in the areas of Computer Applications, Engineering and Technology, Business and Administration, etc.
Elective Subject Combinationsfor Mathematics (B.Sc.) as Honours subject
- Physics and Chemistry
- Physics and Economics
Dr. Mala Bhattacharya
Dr. Jayjayanti Ray
Sri. Gokul Saha
Sri. Sougata Biswas
And Guest Faculty
Activities of the Department of Mathematics
- A Special Lecture session was held in the Department of Mathematics on 28th November, 2014 on -Dynamical Systems-. The lecture was delivered by Professor Sumita Basu of Bethune College.
- Maitrayee Sinha (2nd year) of the department won 1st prize in Annual Dance competition (Sept. 2014) held in the college.
- Trinanjana Choudhury (1st year) of the department won 3rd prize in Annual Recitation competition (Sept. 2014) held in the college.
- Swetlana Jha (1st year) of the department won a medal for securing first position in Annual sports (22nd Dec., 2014) of the college.
- Participation of staff & students in -Rashtriya Ekta Divas-- (National Unity Day) (2014) programme.
- Three students of first year Mathematics Honours , 2014-15 [ Priyanka Biswas, Ishita Seth, Tanusha Agarwal ] awarded certificates in the successive completion of the Certification Program (workshop) in Financial Markets (Basics) conducted by CUCSE-CEFM (2/2/15 - 6/2/15) at the Bengal Chamber of Commerce, Kolkata-1.
- Some of the students [ Priyanka Biswas, Ishita Seth, Ankita Dutta, Sonia Singh ] participated in a Lecture session organized by the college, entitled -Imagining Knowledge-- by Prof. Swapan Chakraborty of Jadavpur University, on 14th February, 2015.
- A Students- Seminar for 1st year Honours Students held in the department on February 16, 2015. Sarnali Chattopadhyay won the First Prize.
- Participation in Cancer Awareness Programme (Recently organized by N.S.S. of our college on 19th February, 2015).
- A student of First Year (Sneha Das) participated in Artkshetra, an initiative by Saanj in association with TTIS, March 2015. Her creation was acknowledged and praised in the leading news paper, TELEGRAPH (2nd March, 2015 issue).
- Participation of teachers & 3rd year students in the National Seminar on DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS, organized by the Indian Society of Non-linear Analysts (ISNA) on 3-4 March, 2015.
- Students of 1st year MTMA paid tribute to Bhaskara-II and Ramanujan on -National Science Day- ( 28th February, 2015 ), through posters.
- Almost all the students of 1st year & 2nd year MTMA prepared wall magazines & posters on current mathematical topics on April & May 2015.
- Participation of staff in Fire Drill on April, 2015.
- An article entitled Mathematical Equations under Vedic Consideration, authored by Dr. Jayjayanti Ray, Assistant Professor of the Department of Mathematics, published in Academia: GMGC (An Academic Journal of Gokhale Memorial Girls- College) Volume 2, May 2015, pp. 34-56.
- A manuscript entitled Computing Difference Equations Using Cellular Automation, authored by Ms. Sreeya Ghosh, a teacher of the Department of Mathematics, published in Academia:GMGC (An Academic Journal of Gokhale Memorial Girls- College) Volume 2, May 2015, pp. 57-65.
- A manuscript entitled Dynamic Programming and its Application, authored by Ms. Srimanti Ghosh, an alumnus and ex-student of the Department of Mathematics, published in ACADEMIA:GMGC (An Academic Journal of Gokhale Memorial Girls- College) Volume 2, May 2015, pp. 200-205.
- A book entitled Pioneer Mathematicians of Calcutta University authored by Dr. (Ms) Purabi Mukherji and Dr. Mala Bhattacharjee, teachers of the Department of Mathematics released by the VC of University of Calcutta on 25.06.2015.
- Inter-college Poster Competition 1 :
First prize won by the Department of Mathematics, GMGC [Trinanjana Choudhury-1st yr., Sarnali Chattopadhyay, 1st yr., Sayani Ghoshal-2nd yr.] in the Inter-college Poster competition, 2015 [Theme: Addressing Mathematical Problems : Learning from Ancient Indian Traditions], organized by the Department of Mathematics of Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandir, Belur Math, Howrah, on 26th February, 2015.
- Inter-college Poster Competition 2 :
An inter-college poster competition was held on 13.08.2015. The topic was, "A Brief Life Sketch of Sir Asutosh Mookerjee".