The first batch of students was admitted in the
academic session 1965-66 and completed their
graduation in the year 1968. The department has
consistently maintained a high degree of academic
excellence as reflected in University results. One
of our students topped in the University merit list
while quite a few have obtained first-class and have
been rank-holders. The success rate in general, has
been almost hundred percent. Teacher: Student ratio
has remained considerably high throughout, enabling
the students to interact more freely with the
Special Lectures are periodically arranged by the department to enlighten the students on various aspects of the course by renowned academicians from different universities.
Student seminars, projects, debates are encouraged to enhance the confidence of the students and to have a greater grasp over the subject matter by widening their vision.
- Tutorials at regular intervals.
- Assignments on different topics during vacations.
- Well stocked College Central Library.
- A separate Departmental Seminar Library to facilitate reference work.
- Special lectures on different topics related to the curriculum at regular intervals.
- Presentation of papers by students on topics related to the course.
- Participation of students in various college activities such as publication of Departmental Magazine, Wall Magazine and cultural activities.
- Regular parent-teacher meeting
- Higher studies in a number of allied subjects (Mass Communications, Journalism, International Relations, Human Rights, Sociology, Defence Studies, Area Studies etc.) apart from the subject itself in Calcutta University or any other reputed University.
- Employment opportunities in schools, colleges, print and electronic media, administrative services/ NGOs as well as International agencies like UNESCO, WHO, etc.
- High prospects of research.
Elective Subject Combinationsfor Political Science (B.A.) as Honours subject
- History and Philosophy
- History and Education
- Geography and Education
- Philosophy and Education
- Economics and History
- History and Geography
- History and Elective Bengali
- History and Hindi
- Philosophy and Elective Bengali
- Philosophy and Hindi
Sm. Sharmistha Mondal Chowdhury
Dr. Mausumi Mukherjee
Sm. Barnali Barman
Dr. Chandrima Ghosh
- "Revisiting Rabindranath on his 50th Birth Anniversary" - A project undertaken and completed by the Second Year students in 2011
- "Swami Vivekananda: His Life and Works: A Tribute on his 150th Birth Anniversary" - A project undertaken and completed by the Second Year students in 2012.
- "The Political and Social attitude of he people of Kolkata" - A survey report by the Third Year students completed in 2014 (100%)
- "Fundamental rights are people aware?" - A survey report by the Second Year students completed in 2015 (100%)
- On the completion of 75years of our College, the department organized a debate competition on the topic 'Benevolent Despotism Is a Cure For India's ills'on 18th March 2014.Smt. Bitto Rani and Smt Debarati Das, Assistant Professors in other Colleges under Calcutta University and also former students of the department, officiated as the Judge and Moderator respectively.
- A Seminar on 'Women and Public Space: A
political Enquiry'was organized by the
Department of Political Science on 27th
Dr. Rajasri Basu, Associate Professor of Political Science and Director, Women's Studies Centre, Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata spoke on 'Women and Festivals: Erasing the Public - Private Divide'. Dr. Kuntal Mukhopadhyay, former Associate Professor of Political Science, Raja Peary Mohan College, Uttarpara, Hoogly and Director, Sanglap Kolkata, the well known Theatre Group, organized a Demonstrative Lecture-cum- performance along with the group entitled "Natyapaathe Naari".
- Suchandra Tat, a Third year student of the Department presented a paper on "Bharatiya Raajneetite Mahila Netritva" and Bisari Dey,a Second year student from the department also presented a paper on "Women Empowerment in India: A Burning Issue".
- Students of the Department secured Second Position in Power Point Presentation on the topic "Sudanese Nomadic Conflict" at the International Relations Scholastic Conclave, August 2014, organized by Jadavpur University.
- Bisari Dey, a student of the Department received the P.C Chandra Award of Excellence for her overall achievement for the year 2014.
- Agomoni Ghosh received the P.C.Chandra Award of Excellencefor all round performance in 2009.
- Students of the department won the third prize for their Documentary Presentation in the UGC-Sponsored Seminar "Let's Talk Bengal" organised by St. Xavier's College, Kolkata in 2011.
The Department organized an educational trip to Gandhi Ghat, Barrackpore on 31st January 2015. The students and the teachers visited the historical museum and experienced a new educational environment.