The well-organized and well-maintained open-access Library is one of the unique features of the Gokhale Memorial Girls' College. Located on the second floor of the main college building, the Library has a collection of over 27,000 books besides magazines and journals. Students may borrow books and use the reading-room as well. Teachers too may use the reading-room facility. Read more...
Value Added Courses
Gokhale Memorial Girls' College in collaboration
with Pranavananda Institute of Management and
Technology (Govt. Recognized, UGC Affiliated, ISO
9001:2008 Certified Institution), an initiative of
Bharat Sevashram Sangha, conducts the employable
skill development certificate courses:
1) THE COLLEGE COMPUTER CENTRE
- The computer course is compulsory for the students of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Sales Management (ASPSM), and Communicative English (Major).
- This course is also suitable for the students of Mathematics, Economics, English, Geography and Psychology Honours. However, any interested student can enrol in any one of the above courses. The Computer Courses have certification by Pranavananda Institute of Management of Technology and Gokhale Memorial
|TRAINING PROGRAMME DETAILS|
|First Year||Computer Fundamentals Ms-Office (Word, Excel, Power Point), Internet & Projects||Rs. 3,050/-|
|Second Year||DeskTop Publishing i.e. (Page Maker, Corel Draw, Photoshop) & Projects||Rs. 3,350/-|
|Third Year||Web Designing - Concept and Application HTML and DHTML Scripting , Flash||Rs. 3,550/-|
2) Supervisory Skills & HR Associate
Duration: 2 Years
1st Year - Level 1: Supervisory Skill on Human Resource Management
2nd Year - Level 2: Corporate Human Resource Analyst & Office Procedures
Course Fee: Rs.2, 250/- per Year
3) Business English & Communication Skills
This course will enable the students to grasp the common structures and nuances of speaking and writing English correctly and effectively. It will prepare students to face effectively professional and business situations with verbal and non-verbal expertise.
Duration: 1 Year
Course Fee: Rs. 1,200/- + Exam fee (Rs. 250/-)
4) Montessori and Pre-Primary Teachers Training:
1 year course;
Course Fees : Rs. 2750/- + Rs. 250/- (Registration Fee)
5) Chinese Mandarin Course
People's Republic of China currently boasts of the fastest growing economy in the world and is potentially the biggest global market of the twenty first century. Proficient speakers of Mandarin Chinese are likely to find jobs as translators and interpreters that already fetch up to Rs 5000 per day. Jobs will also open up in business, government, international relations, IT, tourism, education and related areas. Chinese Mandarin is spoken by the largest number of people in the world and the Indian Government has recognized its importance as CBSE schools began offering this language to their students 2011-12 session onwards. The Consul General of PRC has signed a MoU with Government of West Bengal for collaboration in agricultural area. Therefore, Chinese Mandarin (beginners' course) to be taught at Gokhale Memorial Girls' College now presents an attractive opportunity to aspiring job seekers.
Course Fee : Rs. 2,500/- + Exam fee
Course Fee : RS.2, 500/- + Exam fee
Physical education classes can contribute to
students becoming responsible citizens who are aware
of the importance of a healthy lifestyle and make
educated decisions regarding their own health,
safety and well-being.
Moreover, physical exercise is good for the overall development of the students. It increases their stamina; sharpens their overall cognitive abilities and motor skills; instils their desire to participate; and helps them to develop the whole personality of character.
The Physical education class is conducted once in every month in the college by a Physical Education Instructor and is attended by a good number of students.
The college is equipped to encourage the students to develop athletic skills and interest in indoor as well as outdoor games. An annual sports day is organized at which promising athletes and players are identified. The staff accompanies them to inter college and University sports meets, annually.
Gokhale Memorial Girls' College has collaborated with Young Womens' Christian Association (YWCA), Kolkata to provide Hostel facilities to its students. View Hostel Facility Details...
- SMS Alert System to facilitate speedy intimation to students regarding student affairs and activities
- Forums to encourage students to participate in activities of their interest in addition to their academic pursuits and form the Cultural Club, the Litery Club and the Social Awareness Club with teachers to help them in their advisory capacity
- Student Welfare Sub-committee to look into the problems faced by students in day-to-day campus life
- Seminar libraries maintained by the Honours Departments and administered by the departmental teachers to facilitate the Honours students
- Network Resource Centre in the College Library to be accessed by the students during Library hours, without paying any additional charge.
- Self-defense Course to equip the young women students of the College with self-defense skills to cope with the difficulties of working in an increasingly violent world.
- An Anti-ragging Cell to look into instances of ragging in any form. The members of the Anti-ragging committee are as follows:
- Counselling Cell for the welfare of the students and to initiate awareness programs such as gender sensitization, thalassemia and such others.
- Water Purifier and Cooler to provide safe and cool drinking water
- Ardent endeavours to provide hygienic environment to all through regular maintenance of the premises
- The Shibani Chatterjee Memorial Fund for the needy and deserving students
- Book Bank facility for the needy students
- Tuition fee waiver to candidates declared
eligible for this benefit by a project called
UDAAN undertaken by Terapanth Professional Forum
of Kolkata, provided the merit positions of such
candidates in the merit lists satisfy the
admission norms of the College
The College has a Student Welfare Sub Committee
which acts basically as a grievance redress cell.
Periodic meetings are held with class
representatives to resolve contentious issues
through discussion. CRs and the teaching members
along with the Principal discuss and deliberate on
various issues that are generated and resolve them
immediately. A box for student complaints and
suggestions is provided and this is monitored by the
The students contribute effectively to the
maintenance of academic and administrative quality
of the Institution through their active
participation in the Students Welfare Sub-Committee.
The Committee has the following members:
Dr. Sarmila Sarkar
Sm. Sarmistha Mondal Chowdhury
Dr. Mausumi Mukherjee
Sm. Sangeeta Sen
Sm. Pratyasha Agarwal
Awards & Prizes
- The P.C. Chandra Award of Excellence for outstanding all-round performance.
- The Kumud Kr. Bhattacharya Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Bengali Honours in B.A University Examination.
- The Abha Mukhopadhyay Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Education Honours in B.A. University Examination.
- The Abhijit Bhattacharya Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Geography Honours in the B.A./B.Sc. University Examination.
- The Pranjal Kumar Bhattacharya Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in History Honours in the B. A. University Examination.
- The Mukul Mohan Ganguly Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Mathematics Honours in the B.Sc. University Examination.
- The Maya Chakravarty Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Philosophy in the B.A. University Examination.
- The Sachindranath Bandyopadhyay Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Physics Honours in the B.Sc. University Examination.
- The Nilima Banerjee Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing second highest marks in Physics Honours in the B.Sc. University Examination.
- The Sudeshna Chatterjee (Ganguly) Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Political Science Honours in the B.A. /B.Sc. University Examination.
- The Priyangshu Shekhar Bhattacharya Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Psychology Honours in the B.A. /B.Sc. Part III Examination.
- The Kulada Prasad Choudhury Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Psychology Honours in the B.A. / B. Sc. Part-III Examination.
- The Suruchi Choudhury Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Psychology Honours in the B.A. / B. Sc. Part II Examination.
- The Chandrima Goswami Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Psychology Honours in the B.A. / B.Sc. Part II Examination.
- The Surendranath Bhattacharjee Memorial Prize awarded to the student securing highest marks in Psychology Honours in the B.A./B.Sc. Part I University Examination.
- College awards Prizes to students securing highest marks in other Honours and Major subjects in the B.A. / B.Sc. Examinations.
A special cell for the SC and ST students has
been existing in the College since 1995 to look into
the special needs of these students. The cell has
been reconstituted periodically to cater to the
changing needs and today it also includes the OBC
During admissions, the Cell works in close tandem with the Admission Committee to ensure that students belonging to the reserved categories SC/ST/OBC are admitted strictly in accordance with the National and University norms.
The SC/ST/OBC Cell of the college is also entrusted with the responsibility to look after the welfare of SC/ST/OBC students and address their problems, academic and otherwise. The Cell undertakes to provide assistance to the students of the SC/ST/OBC category through targeted teaching and counselling to help them reach a level that is qualitatively at par with that of the rest of the student community.
At present the Cell has the following members :
Sm. Shampa Sarkar (Convenor)
Sri. Newtan Biswas
Sk. Sariful Islam
Sm . Gopa Dutta Pal
All students are hereby informed and warned that if they are found to be involved/actively participating in any behaviour that is causing any form of harassment to any of the other student of this college; severe measures will be taken by the college authorities against them.
Activities of ragging within the college campus can ruin the life of a student and disturb the academic environment. Gokhale Memorial Girls' College has zero tolerance for ragging and has an active Anti-Ragging Cell to see to the problems pertaining to such undesirable activities. The cell is comprised of the following members:
- Dr. Lalita Agarwal (Associate Professor, Department of Philosophy)
- Dr. Krishnakali Ray (Assistant Professor, Department of Geography)
It is mandatory as per the Hon. Supreme Court & UGC Regulations that all students fill in an Anti Ragging Affidavit, each year. To make the process easy, the UGC (University Grants Commission), Govt. of India has developed an ON LINE Facility. Affidavits can be filled ONLINE at: https://www.antiragging.in/Site/Affidavits_Registration.aspx
Anti-Sexual Harassment Cell
Our National Policy emphasizes the elimination of
discrimination and all forms of violence against
women in both the public and the private sphere. In
adherence to the above objective, the College has an
Anti-Sexual Harassment Cell comprising senior
faculty members and headed by the Principal for
handling complaints of sexual harassment. In 2014,
close circuit cameras were installed at strategic
points to keep vigil on occurrence of untoward
Since its establishment in 1938, the College has strived to translate the ideals of its mentors of empowering women to make them capable home builders, worthy citizens and conscientious women in their chosen fields, not merely through formal education. Accordingly, gender sensitivity is ingrained in the culture of this College. Specific programmes are organised for furtherance of this objective.
On 22nd March, 2014, the College in association with SAMAGAM, an NGO, organised a One-day workshop titled - "Atrocities on Women vis-a-vis role of Counselling", where a representative of the Kolkata Police and an eminent lawyer and a representative of CINI Asha addressed the students and took questions from them as well, to make them conscious of their rights and prerogatives as women. Thereafter, students of various departments presented skits and theme shows reflecting abuse of women in different social spaces namely the family, the workplace and other social areas.
Right to Information Act
The Right to Information Act, 2005
Right to Information Act enacted by the Parliament of India in 2005 mandates timely response to citizen requests for government information. It is an initiative taken by Department of Personnel and Training, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions to provide a - RTI Portal Gateway to the citizens for quick search of information on the details of first Appellate Authorities, PIOs etc. amongst others, besides access to RTI related information / disclosures published on the web by various Public Authorities under the government of India as well as the State Governments.
Objective of the 'Right to Information Act, 2005'
The basic objective of the Right to Information Act, 2005 is to bring information to the citizens and empower them, promote transparency and accountability in the working of the Government, contain corruption, and make our democracy work for the people in real sense. An informed citizen is better equipped to keep necessary vigil on the instruments of governance and make the government more accountable to the governed.
Implementation of 'The Right to Information Act, 2005' in the Universities / Colleges
The Right to Information Act, 2005 (22 of 2005) has come into force from 15 June, 2005. All Universities and Colleges established by law made by Parliament or by State Legislature or by notification by the appropriate Government or owned, controlled or substantially financed directly or indirectly by funds provided by the Government come within the meaning of a Public Authority under this Act.
In keeping with the requirements of the Act and its provisions, the RTI Cell of the Gokhale Memorial Girl's College was constituted in the academic session 2010-11 under the University guidelines. The Principal of the college officiates as the Appellate Authority and the State Public Information Officer (SPIO).
The full text of the Act is available on the website www.righttoinformation.gov.in