HistorySarala Ray, popularly known as Mrs. P. K. Ray, a great social reformer and educationist, founded the Gokhale Memorial Girls' School in 1920. A pioneer among Bengali women to aspire for Higher Education, she was one of the first Indian women to acquire a University degree. As a social reformer Sarala Ray's primary objective was not merely to churn out women graduates but to train and guide women to become worthy citizens, capable home-builders and conscientious workers in their chosen field of activity.
The Institution is named after Gopal Krishna Gokhale, a distinguished teacher, educationist and freedom fighter. This great patriot of India fervently believed that a wide diffusion of female education in all its branches is a crucial determinant of the true welfare of a nation. Greatly inspired by his ideals and educational aspirations for women, Sarala Ray founded the Institution as a memorial to Gokhale, to serve the cause of education of girls in the country.
Dr. S. E. Rani Ghosh was the first Principal of College. She served it from its inception in 1938 till her death on 18th November 1961. A true educationist and believer in woman's emancipation, she nurtured the Institution from an Intermediate College of Arts and Science to a Three Year Degree College. Under her able guidance, the Institution gained a wide reputation and lived up to the expectations of Gokhale and Sarala Ray.
Gokhale Memorial Girls' College enjoys the distinction of being the first undergraduate college to be affiliated by the Calcutta University to teach Psychology in the Three Year Degree Course in 1957.
Vision & Mission
The vision of Gokhale Memorial Girls' College is:
To develop and empower women through education that fosters knowledge and skills, promotes values of equality, secularism and national integration, moulds character through discipline and rigour and creates an open mind capable of assimilating the best traditions of the East and the West.
The mission statements of Gokhale Memorial Girls' College aim at translating its vision into action plans through:
- Dissemination of knowledge leading to academic excellence and personal growth
- Stimulation of the academic environment of the Institution for promotion of quality in teaching-learning.
- Maintenance of a balance between education that promotes knowledge per se and training that imparts skills for employability.
- Broadening the base of women's education in keeping with the framework of a pluralistic society.
- Inculcation of egalitarian, secular and non-parochial values among students in addition to the core values of honesty, discipline, courage, compassion, self respect as well as respect for others
- Promotion of all-round development of the students to face the emerging and futuristic challenges arising from complexities of the rapidly changing national and international scenario.
In keeping with the broad vision and mission, the objective of the Institution is to enrich the society by creating women - intellectually astute, economically independent, socially aware, politically conscious, morally superior yet graceful, gentle and sensitive.
Code of Conduct
Admission of a student in this College implies adherence to the prescribed code of conduct and observance of the rules laid down by the College. Full co-operation in this regard is sought from the guardians. Any student who fails to abide by these rules will be strictly dealt with.
- Students must maintain discipline within college premises.
- Students must be punctual and regular in attending classes.
- Students must produce the College Identity Card at the gate everyday failing which they will be denied entry.
- Students must not use cell phones for any purpose inside the college buildings. Violation of this rule will be punished by confiscation of the mobile set and financial penalty.
- During college hours, no student is allowed to attend coaching classes, join other courses of study or engage herself in any other related activity outside the College premises.
- Attendance in college examinations and tutorials is compulsory for the students.
- Students must maintain decent and cordial relationship with the faculty and staff and amongst themselves.
- RAGGING IN ANY FORM IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Disciplinary action will be taken against those who violate this rule.
|Sl No||Name of The Nominated Persons||Qualification/ Profession||Address||Designated As|
|1.||DR. SUBIRES BHATTACHARYYA||VICE CHANCELLOR, NORTH BENGAL UNIVERSITY||KOLKATA||PRESIDENT, G.B|
|2.||DR. SEULI SARKAR||PRINCIPAL, LADY BRABOURNE COLLEGE, KOLKATA||KOLKATA||GOVT. NOMINEE, G.B|
|3.||DR. LAPITA SARKAR||RTD. ASSOCIATE PROF, GOKHALE MEMORIAL GIRLS' COLLEGE||KOLKATA||GOVT. NOMINEE, G.B|
|4.||DR. INDRILA GUHA||PRINCIPAL, BASANTI DEVI COLLEGE, KOLKATA||KOLKATA||NOMINEE OF W.B.S.C.H.E, G.B|
|5.||DR. RUMA BHATTACHARYYA||C.U. NOMINEE, G.B|
|6.||DR. MAITREYEE BHATTACHARYYA||C.U. NOMINEE, G.B|
|7.||DR. ATASHI KARPHA||PRINCIPAL, GOKHALE MEMORIAL GIRLS' COLLEGE||PRINCIPAL & SECRETARY, G.B|
|8.||DR. MAUSUMI MUKHERJEE||T.S REPRESENTATIVE|
|9.||DR. IVY DE||T.S REPRESENTATIVE|
|10.||DR. SARTHAK ROY CHOWDHURY||T.S REPRESENTATIVE|
|11.||SRI GOUTAM KUMAR SEN||N.T.S REPRESENTATIVE|
9: 45 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.: Monday - Friday
9: 45 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.: Saturday
The College is founded by Sarala Ray with inspiration from the progressive ideals of Gopal Krishna Gokhale, educationist and nationalist leader. The College begins its journey as an Intermediate College under the able guidance of Dr. S. E. Rani Ghosh, an ardent disciple of Sarala Ray.
The College becomes the first undergraduate college to be affiliated by the Calcutta University to teach Psychology in the Three Year Degree Course.
The University of Calcutta extends affiliation to teach Honours courses in English, Geography and Political Science
The University of Calcutta extends affiliation to teach Honours course in Psychology
The University of Calcutta extends affiliation to teach Honours courses in History and Economics
The University of Calcutta extends affiliation to teach Honours course in Education
The University of Calcutta extends affiliation to teach Honours course in Mathematics
The University of Calcutta extends affiliation to teach three career-oriented Major (vocational) subjects such as Advertising, Sales Promotion and Sales Management (ASPSM), Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics (CND) and Communicative English (CME)
The University of Calcutta extends affiliation to teach Honours courses in Bengali Hindi and Philosophy.
The College is assessed by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (2008) and awarded a CGPA of 2.62 (Grade B).
University of Calcutta extends affiliation to teach Honours courses in Physics
University of Calcutta extends affiliation to teach Honours course in Chemistry.
The college is assessed by the national Assesment and Accreditation Council (2015) and awarded a CGPA of 2.79(Grade B)
University of Calcutta extends affiliation to teach General Course in Sociology
- Excellent teacher-student ratio
- Conducive academic environment
- Regular classes and continuous evaluation
- Remedial classes for weak students
- Special guidance to advanced learners
- Mock Tests to help the students prepare for their final University examinations
- Publication of a refereed college academic journal named "Academia: GMGC" consisting of paper contributions made by well-known academic persona and the faculty and staff, former students and the current students of the College.
- An annual college magazine named "Miscellany" containing varied writings contributed entirely by the students of the college.
- Special investigative survey studies to foster among the students an interest in academic research
- Well stocked, user-friendly Library with reprographic facility
- Free Internet access
- Regular parent-teacher interface
- Regular intimation of attendance status
- Career counseling
- Intra-College and Inter-College competitions
- Showcasing of student talents through Annual Cultural Programme etc.
- Sports and Games competitions
- Social Outreach activities
- Placement Cell
- Workshops, Seminars and Special Lectures
- Student managed Literary, Cultural and Social Awareness Fora
- Computer Training facility
- Student seminars, annual exhibition, debate etc.
- Regular Feedback taken from students, guardians and alumni.