Advertising, Sales promotion and Sales Management (ASPSM) is a Major Course introduced in our institution on the basis of recommendations from the University Grants Commission in 1994. It is a three-year course leading to Bachelors Degree (B.A/B.Sc) Major awarded by Calcutta University. Gokhale Memorial Girls' College is the only institution in Calcutta which offers the curriculum.
The first batch of students was admitted in the
academic session 1994-95 and since then seventeen
batches have passed out successfully. The department
has both full time and guest faculty. The department
also arranges special lectures by visiting faculty
who are from various organizations in the industry
known for their specialization in particular areas
of study related to the curriculum. It tries to
provide placement when possible. This year
interested students of the final year could be
placed successfully in Tata Consultancy Services.
- Training students for developing skills in graphic design and Ad-message writing.
- Prepare students for a career in marketing /advertising by imparting theoretical and practical instructions that provide holistic understanding of the subject.
- Helps to cultivate skills that adequately qualify students for the employment market.
- Grooming the students for entrepreneurial competence.
- Regular tutorials are arranged for consistency and improvement in the performance of the students.
- Good collection of books in the college central Library.
- Students are exposed to work experience (on-job-training) in leading advertising agencies, newspaper houses, event management houses and the corporate sector.
- Students have to undertake In-house-project which provides an understanding of Market Research and Analysis.
- Facilitating in-depth study and presentation skills through class-room presentation on various related topics.
- The University results are encouraging with a high percentage of students securing first class and University ranks.
- The department takes pride in mentioning that students, after completing their graduation in this subject, have successfully pursued post graduate studies from reputed institutions like MICA (Ahmedabad), Benaras Hindu University(MBA), Symbiosis (Mass Communication and Advertising), Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Delhi, Delhi School of Communication, Jadavpur University (Mass Com) National Institute of Advertising etc.
- Students are successfully pursuing their career in advertising marketing/Public Relations in reputed advertising agencies like Ogilvy and Mather, Rediffusion, DYTR, JWT, Lowe Lintas, Panorama etc; in reputed publishing houses like The Statesman, Hindustan Times, Ananda Bazar Patrika and The Telegraph, Indian Express, Business Standard etc ; in Corporate Sector like Dell Computers, HSBC Bank, TCS to name some.
- Students have pursued higher studies in Universities in U.S.A. and U. K.
- The faculty provides total support for all
round guidance and success in university
The students will emerge equipped with skills to
opt for attractive range of careers - client
servicing, customer care, marketing and sales
executives, public relations, event management in
various publishing houses, event management
organizations and corporate houses, and in creative
departments in Advertising agencies.
Can pursue higher studies in Management Institutes all over the country by appearing in CAT/XAT/MAT and other entrance examinations conducted by reputed institutions throughout the country and abroad (GRE AND TOEFL).
Elective Subject Combinations
for ASPSM (B.Sc.) as Major Subject
- Economics and Psychology
for ASPSM (B.A.) as Major
- Education and Elective English
Special Information ( for students of
Advertising, Sales Promotion And Sales Management)
Students seeking admission with Advertising Sales Promotion and Sales Management have to undergo the compulsory computer training course at Gokhale Memorial Girls' College Computer Centre.
Activities of the Department of Advertising Sales Promotion & Sales Management
- Special Lecture and Film show on "Helvetica - the mother of all fonts" by Sm Puja Sengupta, an Ex-student and former Guest Lecturer of the department and Senior Consultant (Design), Capgemini India Pvt. Ltd. was held on 14/07/17.
- The students of the department enthusiastically participated in the Annual College Exhibition held on 21/12/17. They presented the theme, "Nostalgia-Rewinding the Past".
- Special Lecture by Sri Indranil Mitra, Senior Vice-President, Lowe Lintas & Partners, Kolkata on Practical Approach to Advertising as a Practice". The lecture was delivered on 24/03/18.
- The students contributed to "Miscellany 2017", the Annual College Magazine.
- Sri Sabyasachi Chatterjee, a faculty, delivered a
talk on "Durga Murtir Biborton" in a Study Circle
meet held in the College premise on 26th September
Workshop on Print Media
On the 20th of March 2017, the department of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Sales Management of Gokhale Memorial Girls' College Kolkata, organised a workshop on print media by experts Debabani Tagore (Sr. Manager Outlook Group), Paayel Sengupta (Associate Account Director, MSL Group) and Sukanya Das (Sr. Guest Lecturer NIFT and iLead Institute, Contributor to India Today, Femina, Cosmopolitan, Consultant Editor at XSeed Education. The workshop involved a seminar on the evolution of print media and focused on the emergence of newspapers and magazines. The seminar also focused on the different aspects of newspapers and magazines and their categorical importance.
The second part of the workshop involved an introduction to Public Relations and the nature of the discipline. The students were briefed on how intricately the editorial, advertising and public relations departments work in close co-ordination. It involved educating the students about the various tools of PR, ethical and local issues, differences between PR and Publicity and how the theory of PR varies from the real world practices.
The third and the last segment of the workshop called for a practical session where the students were divided into three groups and were given a task to complete in a specified period of time. The task was to organise a detailed PR and media campaign elaborating on the different types of media used, their objectives and purposes and tentative budget. Following the task, three members from each group were asked to make a presentation on their campaign and defend it.
The students reported that the workshop was enlightening and bridged the gaps between theoretical nature of coursework and real world marketing and PR practices.
An interactive session with renowned advertising and film veteran, Mr. Barun Chanda, was organised by the Alumni Association of GMGC, on the 16th of March 2017. As an ex professor associated with the department, Mr. Chanda expressed his desire to renew his ties with the college and engage with the students in the upcoming academic sessions.
The interactive session consisted of Mr. Chanda sharing his experiences in the advertising industry, talking about the various career paths offered in the field of advertising. The event was attended by a major portion of the present student body of the department of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Sales Management who were keen to ask him questions about the nature of marketing practices in advertising, the social and ethical issues in advertising, the relationship between advertising and public relations and so on.
The feedback frothe students and faculty alike was overwhelming. The students felt thoroughly enriched after the session.
A Special Lecture - 'Social Entrepreneurship' was delivered on 18th February 2015, by Mr. John O'Shea, a renowned expert on Corporate Social Responsibility. John O'Shea, one of Ireland's most celebrated humanitarians, has devoted his life to working on behalf of the world's poor. He is the founder of GOAL, an aid agency and its former CEO. John is a powerful advocate on behalf of those living in what he describes as "The Forgotten World". Since his retirement in 2012 from GOAL, John has set himself the challenge of inspiring other people to become social entrepreneurs, in the belief that every individual can make a big difference in the battle against global inequality.
The following articles contributed by students of the Department were published in the College Academic Journal, Academia: GMGC 2015 -
- 'Personality and Persuasion in Advertising: A Special Study' by Sutithi Banerjee (3rd year)
- 'The Rise of Social Entrepreneurs' by Rohini Bhowmik, (2nd year)
Student members of College NSS - Unit 1
participated wholeheartedly in the Gardening and
Tree Planting Drive on 8th May, 2015, the Birth
Anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore.
The first year students of 2014-15 have made individual audio visual presentation on 'Top 10 brands and top 10 advertisements' in August 2014.
The first year students of 2015-16 have made group presentation in September 2015 on
- Comparative Advertising
- Social Advertising
1st year students of 2014-15 prepared a wall magazine on Vintage Advertisements.
2016 - 17
PC Chandra Award of Excellence
PC Chandra Award of Excellence is an annual award given to the student with overall outstanding performance in academics and co-curricular activities alike. This year's prize was awarded to Oeisikee Basu Mullick from the department of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Sales Management for her performance in the academic session 2016-17.
- Students of the department participated in National Unity Walk commemorating the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on 30th October 2014.
- Students showcased their creativity on the occasion of The Memorial Service of Dr. E.S Rani Ghosh held on 18th November 2014 through their artwork.
- Students were members of the decoration committee for Annual College Day programme, 18th December 2014.
- Achievements in Annual Competitions 2014: Rohini Bhowmik - 1st in Creative Writing, 3rd in Extempore Speech; Amrita Dutta - 2nd in Painting.
- Achievements in Annual Sports 2014: Shraddha Bose - 3rd in Shotput, Amrita Dutta- Badminton Doubles Champion.
- Srimoyee Dey was crowned 'Sananda Tilittoma 2014', sponsored by Max and organised by Ananda Bazar Patrika Limited, Kolkata.
- A.G.N.I Premier League Unstoppable 2014: Amrita Dutta won the 1st Prize in the Arts competition organised by Assembly of God Church North India as part of their AGNI Youth Movement.
2015 - 16
On the 21st of December 2016, the college organised an exhibition where the department of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Sales Management participated with unparalleled fervour. The department worked on theme of "Marketing as an Agent of Economic and Social Progress". The projects included models on the rise of E-wallets, Radio cabs, branding of grassroot level sports such as kabaddi into a global event and the subsequent corporatisation, 3D modelling of new marketing concepts like experiential marketing, role of public relations, transformation of television commercials into brand films and so on.
- A special lecture was delivered by Sri Biswajit Matilal, Vice President Corporate Communications, Birla Corporation Ltd. On 31st March, 2016. His topics of discussion were-" From Brand to Branding" and " A tale of Taglines"
- 2nd year students conducted a survey as part of Central Research Project- "Durga Puja- Festival or Industry" in September-October, 2015
- Students made wall magazines on several topics
- Role of Packaging in Marketing
- Top twenty five Brands, 2014
- Top ten gainers and Top ten looses, 2014
- Evolution of Packaging of Coca Cola
- Evolution of Advertisements
- Amul Advertisements- Case study
2016 - 17
The students of second year prepared a wall magazine on the top national brands of India.
Students from the department also actively contributed to the annual college magazine.