The purpose of education is to develop the knowledge, skill, or character of students.
Keeping this purpose in mind, the Education Department of Gokhale Memorial Girls' College strives to achieve its obligation and responsibility towards its students. It puts in its best efforts to make sure that students after graduating are able to lead their lives as respectable members of the society.Girls have not only done well in the field of higher education, but have also successfully established themselves in various other sectors, such as, Human Resource Department of the MNCs, Banking, Administrative Service, etc.
From the year 2008, practical lessons on pedagogy and statistics were incorporated in the curriculum and the Department is successfully conducting the practical classes.
- Higher studies in the Calcutta University or other reputed Universities and Institutions.
- Students may get opportunity for joining the Masters course in Social Work (MSW) and move into the field of humanitarian service.
- Occupations for which one can opt are teachers, lecturers, school inspectors, guidance officers, counsellors, educational managers, officers in education department, educational administrators etc.
- Students may also join MBA courses after
Elective Subject Combinations
- History and Political Science
- History and Philosophy
- Psychology and Political Science
- Psychology and Sanskrit
- History and Sanskrit
- History and Psychology
Activities of Department of Education
Department of Education And Department of Hindi of our college has organized a 'One day National Level Webinar' on 'Media and Pandemic' on 08th July, 2021. In the webinar eminent personalities like Sri Bishambhar Newar, Chief Editor & Director, Chhapte Chhapte (Hindi Daily) & Taaza TV Shri Harilal Milan, Sahityakar, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, and Dr. Tanuja Basu Roy, Assistant Professor & HoD, Department of Journalism & Mass Communication, South Calcutta Girls' College, Kolkata were present and delivered their lecture as resource person.
Prof. Bishnupada Nanda, Professor, Department of Education, Jadavpur University and Smt. SumitaChatterjee, Assistant Professor and HOD, Department of Education, Bamanpukur HumayunKabir Mahavidyalaya has delivered Special lecture virtyually in our Department on 12th June and 27th July, 2021. Their topic was 'Inclusive Education' and 'Education for Peace and Well being' respectively.
Students of Education Department are delivering lecture in 'Students Lecture Series' organized by Education Department. Ashifa Parveen delivered a lecture on 'Education for Multicultural Society in the Inclusive Context' on 5th September , Manaswini Lahiri delivered a lecture on 'Relevance of Kohlberg's Theory of Moral development in Modern Education' on 7th September, Ahona Roy Choudhury delivered a lecture on 'Educational Values Beyond Education' on 8th September, Sindhura Dutta delivered lecture a on 'Modern Education and technology During the COVID 19 Period' on 9th september, Debdutta Das delivered a lecture on'Educational Implications of Sankhya Philosophy in Modern Days' on 10th September, Sayantani Karmakar delivered a lecture on 'Idealism and Education' on 10th September, Rusi Ahmed delivered a lecture on 'Nature Vs Nurture: Influnce of Heridity and environment on the Learner' on 11th september and Shilpa Nayar delivered a lecture on 'Role of education in the Development of Humanity and Society in the Modern World' on 11th September, 2020.
Dr. Mohammad Sayeed Bhat, Assistant Professor,
Department of Education, Central University of
Kashmir, is delivering his speech as resource
person on 'Different Perspectives of Modern
Higher Education System' in the national level Webinar
'Modern Education System and Future of India'
organized by Education Department, Gokhale Memorial
Girls' College on 27th July, 2020.
In the webinar Mrs. Papori Handique, Assistant Professor, Department of Education, Doomdooma College, Assam, have also delivered a lecture as a resource person on 'Journey of Indian Education System: Ancient to Modern Days'.
In the webinar more than 50 participants presented their paper.
Rusi Ahmed, , 5th Semester student is presenting a
paper virtually via Zoom platform, entitled 'Innovations
in Education before and After Corona Pandemic' in a
national seminar, Organized by Bamunpukur Humayun
Kabir Mahavidyalaya on 05-05-2020.
In the same webinar another student Ahona Roy Chudhury has also presented a paper entitled 'Covid 19 a Trendsetter, in the Field of Education from Various Viewpoints'.
Ashifa Parveen, 5th Semester student is presenting a paper virtually via Zoom platform, entitled 'EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY A BOON OR BANE FOR THE STUDENTS OF AN UNDERDEVELOPED COUNTRY LIKE INDIA IN THIS CORONA CRISIS' in a national seminar, Organized by Bamunpukur Humayun Kabir Mahavidyalaya on 05-05-2020.
Rusi Ahmed, 5th Semester student is collecting her
certificate from the resource Person for presenting a
paper in an International seminar organized by APC
College, Madhyamgram on 06-02-2020.
She have also secured 8th position in the Essay Writing Competition for undergraduate students on "Opportunities and Challenges of Online Education in Present Scenario", jointly organized by IQAC & Department of Education , Basanti Devi College, Kolkata IQAC & Department of Sociology, Belda College, Paschim Medinipur from 08th June to 14th June, 2020.
Ahona Roy Chudhury and Sindhura Dutta, 5th Semester student is presenting a paper entitled 'Work Education and Enhancement of Value Education' in an International seminar organized by APC College, Madhyamgram on 06-02-2020.
Ashifa Parveen, 5th Semester student is presenting a paper entitled 'Degradation of Ethical and Moral Values: An Emerging Issue in 21st Century College Students of West Bengal' in an International seminar organized by APC College, Madhyamgram on 06-02-2020.
A Special Talk was organized by the Department of Education on 24th March, 2017 on Importance of Emotional Intelligence in Life and Education. The talk was delivered by Prof. Deboshree Banerjee, Professor, Department of Education, Calcutta University.
On 31st March, 2017 a Special lecture was delivered by Dr. RanjitaDatta, Associate Professor, Department of Education, Deshbandhu College for Girls on Problems of Adolescence, their Coping Strategies.
Komal Chaturvedi, a 2nd year student of Education
(H) took part in the elocution competition,
organized by Gokhale Memorial Girls' College in
2016-17. She was a referee in the Taekwondo
Championship at Kolkata, organized by Bengal
Taekwondo Association. She represented Calcutta
University in the district level Taekwondo
Competition in the year 2016, which was organized by
Bengal Taekwondo Association. She won the Gold medal
in that competition.
She got Silver medal in the State Taekwondo Championship in 2017.
She has also won the Gold Medal in the District level Taekwondo Competition in the same year.
She was a member of Gokhale Memorial Girls' College Throw ball team and participated in the Loreto College Fest in the Throw ball event.
Priyanka Joydhar, a 2nd year student of Education Department won the 3rd prize in the Poster Making Competition organized by Gokhale memorial Girls' College in 2017
Excursions and Educational Tours
Department conducted an Educational Tour Ramakrishna Mission Swami Vivekananda Ancestral House and Cultural Centre, Kolkata on 16 March 2016
Seminars, Workshops, Special Lectures, Paper PresentationsA special lecture was organized by Department of Education on 17 February 2016.Nandita De, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Education, Shishuram College, delivered a lecture on "Role of Educational Management and Administration in Combating Women Trafficking"
Awards and Achievements
- Bithi Paul a third year student performed Rabindra Sangeet at Birla Academy Organised by "Krishnakali" a Musical Institute in Kolkata.
- Shirsha Roy Chowdhury a second year student performed in Dance , Organised by Kohinoor Dance Academy at Mumbai in 2015
- Priyanka Sen a second year student participated in modeling at Scottish church College and She occupied second position in 2015. She have also participated in modeling at "Xavotsav" St. Xavier's College fest , Kolkata.
- Black Belt Holder Komal Chaturvedi, a 1st year student acted as a Referee in Khudiram Anusilan Kendra in Tackwondo competition organized by "Tackwondo Achiever". In the same year she have own silver Medal at Judo Club, Kolkata in the district level Tackwondo championship.
Awards and Achievements
- Soumana Ray secured the 8th rank in the University Examination in 2011
- Kakoli Dutta secured the 8th rank in the University Examination in 2013
- Sangeeta Bhadra, presently a student of third year, Department of Education, won the Second Runner-Up position in the Inter College Music Competition named 'Gangulir Gaan Guli', sponsored by Power F.M, on July, 2013 at City Centre, Razarhat. She was also a part of the celebration of the competition of 100 years of 'Geetanjali' .
- Shreya Sarkar, presently a student of third year, Department of Education, participated as a Finalist of Poster Competition on Earth Day i.e. 24th June, 2014 organized by Eco Club of Women Christian College, Kolkata. She got lots of appreciation by the panel of the Judges. She is an active member of Rotaract Club of Calcutta Renaissance and holds the post of Reporter in the Board of 2014-15 under Press Assignment currently. She was awarded the First Runner Up position in the P.C. Chandra Goldlites Diva 2014. She also represented the College in "Caledonia" and "Xavotsav" the two big student fests held at St. Xavier's College, Kolkata every year.
- Rwipti Mazumder, presently a 3rd Year student, Department of Education, won the Best Trainee Award in Advance Rock Climbing Course, Matha Buru, Purulia, 2014. She ranked 1st in Balance Race and ranked 2nd in Flat Race. She also won the Champion's Trophy in Annual College Sports, in 2014. She also took part in the trekking programme organized by 'Jara Jajabor' at Dooars, North Bengal, India in December 2014.
- Sharmistha Karmakar, a third year student
got the First prize in Dart Competition held on
Annual Sports Day 2014.
- The students of the department participated with great fervour in the College Exhibition organized on 22nd December, 2013. They set up colourful models and posters to depict various important aspects of the subject of Education.
Seminars, Workshops, Special Lectures, Paper Presentations
- U.G.C. sponsored National Seminar on 'Swami Vivekananda's Views on Education: Dimensions and Modern Day Relevance' organised by Department of Education, Susil Kar College, Champahati, South 24 Parganas in collaboration with Department of Education, Gokhale Memorial Girls' College, Kolkata on 10th and 11th January, 2014. Eminent personalities in their respective fields were invited to deliver their valuable speeches on the occasion.
- A seminar was organised by Department of Education and Department of Philosophy on 5th April, 2014. The topic was "Manush: Rabindranath Tagore, Vivekananda and Gandhijir Drishtivangir Aloke". Dr. Tarun Goswami delivered a lecture on the topic. Papers were read by the students also. Meholi Acharaya and Namrata Ganguly jointly presented a paper entitled, "Rabindranather Shiksatatwa". Ankita Karmakar, Debopriya Sanyal and Sreya Sarkar jointly presented a paper on "Educational Philosophy of Vivekananda".
- A special lecture was organized by Department of Education on 17 February 2015. Dr. Bijan Sarkar, Associate Professor, Dept. of Education, University of Kalyani, delivered a lecture on "Managing Stress and Being Healthy".
- Sanchita Mondal, B.A 3rd year student presented a paper entitled 'Issues and Challenges of Psycho-Sexual theory in 21st Century' in an International Seminar on "Different Perspectives of Education In Modern Society", (DEPMS 2015), organized by JRSET College of Education, Nadia, on 21st and 22nd February, 2015.
Excursions and Educational Tours
- The Department carried out a survey in ICDS centre near Gopal Nagar on 12 February 2015.
- The Department conducted an educational tour of Tagore's home in Kolkata, popularly known as