Gokhale Memorial Girls' College offered the English Honours Course for the first time in the academic Session 1965-1966, under the aegis of the University of Calcutta. The Department is managed by three full-time teachers and Guest Faculty as well and the focus is not just on teaching texts and the art of writing good answers but also on creating literary awareness. So Seminars are organized, eminent speakers are invited, students are encouraged to contribute to College magazine, Wall magazines and read papers in class. As and when possible, teachers of the Department guide students to make the best possible use of both our Library that has a very good collection of books and the Internet. Since parental guidance and monitoring is essential, the Department invites guardians to interact with the Teachers along with their wards as and when necessary. Students are also encouraged to make audio-visual presentations and papers in class as a preparatory step to research activities in future.
- Higher studies in any University in India and abroad.
- Employment opportunities in reputed
organizations, with or without specialized
training in the fields of Education, Management,
Media, Publishing and Print Journalism. Induction
into specialized Training Courses in Mass Media,
Publishing Houses, Management, Public Relations,
Print Journalism, etc.
After graduation our students have been admitted
to Universities and Colleges that offer
Post-Graduate Courses in English Literature. Those
less interested in 'conventional' higher study have
branched out to other courses as Management, courses
in Language, Publishing, Media, Computers, etc. Some
of our students are in the Corporate World now. We
are happy to mention that many of our students are
working for their Doctoral Degree here in India and
abroad and there are some who are now
Lecturers/Guest Faculty in other Colleges. Our
students have joined our Institution too as Guest
Faculty. Avenues are many in number and all wide
open for the sincere and diligent.
Elective Subject Combinations
for English (B.A.) as Honours subject
- History and Philosophy
- History and Education
- Philosophy and Education
- History and Geography
- History and Elective Bengali
- History and Hindi
- Philosophy and Bengali
- Philosophy and Hindi
- Geography and Education
- Geography and Elective Bengali
- Geography and Hindi
Activities of the English Department
- In the month of July, the Department arranged a three-day international webinar on "Epidemics, Body and Medicines: Inquiries through Literary and Cultural Texts" which was graced by eminent speakers like Bashabi Fraser of Edinburg Napier University, Amrit Sen of Visva Bharati, Anustup Basu of University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, among others. The webinar gave students and scholars all over the world an opportunity to listen to engrossing papers on a topic of such relevance.
- An intra-departmental literary quiz was held
for the students. It saw large participation and
enthusiasm from students of all the present
- A special lecture was delivered by Dr.
Pinaki De on 'Tintin in Tibet' on September 21,
2019. He initiated the students into a way of
reading and analysing comics, especially Tintin.
Special lecture on the topic "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and the Evolution of Detective Fiction" was delivered by Professor Amrit Sen of Visva Bharati University on November 28, 2019. It was an enlightening session and the students were enriched by it.
- Professor Chidananda Bhattacharya of
Rabindra Bharati University delivered a special
lecture at the department on Keats' poetry.
The Departments of English and Communicative English organised a special lecture titled "Cinema, Fiction and History". The lecture was delivered by Srijit Mukherjee and was followed by an interactive session.
The Department of English participated in the Annual Exhibition and presented installations on the theme, "Psychological Thrillers" along with games, quiz and discussions.
The Departments of English and Communicative English went on a picnic to Nirala Resort, Deulti, Howrah
One day state level seminar
A one day state level seminar organized by the Dept in collaboration with the Dept of History and Higher Education Counsel.
presentation by the students
Power point presentation by the students
- Students staged a street play on rape victims and social hypocrisy entitled Cannibalism called Sympathy as part of their entry in a competition organized by Xavotsav which was subsequently put up at the Annual Foundation Day Programme of the College, celebrated on December 18, 2014.
- 11.01.2015- Departmental picnic was organized at Narendrapur at a garden house which was thoroughly enjoyed by the girls.
- Students of the department participated in
various seminars and competitions organized by
the College and other institutions:
- NSS Unit seminar on Breast Cancer Awareness on 19.02.2015.
- the Political Science department seminar on Women Empowerment on February 14, 2015, and Professor Swapan Chakraborty's lecture on Imagining Education.
- A 3-day International Seminar on Modernism organized by the Department of English, Jadavpur University, Kolkata from February 24 to February 26, 2015
- 1.03.2015 - a Photography competition was organized by CRY and the Social Awareness Club in which Ishani Chatterjee won the 2nd prize.
- The prizes in the Bengali Flash Fiction category were won by Sayani Basu and Nirajana Bardhan in the Creative Writing Competition organized by the Literary Club on 26.05.2015.
- Kamalika Mitra and Madhulina Biswas participated in a National Essay - writing competition in August 2015 while Kamalika contributed an article in an e-journal, Academia.edu on " Macbeth and Schizophrenia" .
- Aishwarya Sinha won the first prize at the Mehendi competition at the Scottish Church College Fest. Ashwini Karmakar won the 2nd prize in the Shot put category in the College sports held in 2014. Tumpa Burman, who took part in a Yoga contest, secured the first place. Students also took part in the Presidency College Fest Incarnadine.
- Soumi Mukherjee, a third year student, is interning as a Climate Counsellor with Green (R)evolution, a cause supported by the United Nations Environment Programme.
- The department organized a Special Lecture on Pride and Prejudice: An Enterprise of the Novel by Sm. Swaty Mitra, Assistant Professor in English, Barasat Government College, West Bengal, and an alumnus of the department, on February, 23, 2015.
- Students of the department put up a magnificent exhibition on Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia: Beyond the Fantasy on February 28, 2015 in Room no. 8 with charts, models, film snippets, puppet shows and electronically supported models which won considerable appreciation from spectators.
- A Newsletter of the Department was displayed highlighting the year-round departmental activities and students' achievements among which was featured Aleya Chanda's visit to Japan sponsored by the Japanese Foundation, Kolkata and Chandreyee Mukherjee's entry into the Final round in the P.C. Chandra's Fresh Face Contest among other things.
- Teachers' Day celebrations were clubbed together with the Farewell given to Dr. Sudeshna Kar Barua, who retired as Associate Professor from the department after 37 years of service, on September 29, 2015. The students made visual presentations, danced and sang on the occasion.
Chandreyee Mukherjee interned with CNN-IBN in July 2015. Indira Bishui wrote articles for T2, The Telegraph, and is engaged in writing 3 fan-fictions on Watt pad. The students participate in Paper Reading sessions in the Department.