Philosophy Honours Course
was introduced in the year 2002. One of the students
from the first batch has obtained 1st class in the
year 2005. Medium of instruction in this college is
English. Inspite of that, many students take
admission in this department from several Bengali
medium schools of the city and its outskirts. The
faculty give essential effort to help them that they
can follow lectures and secure good results in the
In order to boost up the self confidence of the students, the faculty guide them in organising departmental seminars where each and every student gets a platform to present her paper.
Students of this
department take part in various inter collegiate
debates and seminars that are organised for the
students by different Universities on International
Philosophy Day every year.
Special lectures are arranged by the department where eminent teachers of different colleges and Universities come and deliver lectures to the students for their improvement.
Educational trips are organised by the department to give all round exposure to the students.
Philosophy which is known as science of all
science and art of all arts gives an overall view of
life. A Philosophy Honours Graduate has various
options to choose for their higher studies such as
Post Graduation in Philosophy, Journalism, Mass
Communication, Law, Film studies, Management
Studies, Computer Science etc. Teaching (School,
College/ University) P.O. of Bank, I.A.S., W.B.C.S.,
Practising Law, - these fields are open for her to
choose as profession.
Elective Subject Combinationsfor Philosophy (B.A.) as Honours subject
- History and Elective Bengali
- Political Science and Education
- Sanskrit and Education
- Elective Bengali and Sanskrit
- History and Elective English
Activities of Philosophy Department
- Soma Adak and Soumi Patra, students of semester-6, participated in a webinar on Mental Health organized by IIT Bombay on 26th September 2020 and received certificate for it.
- Student of the department, semester 6, also participated in career counselling Programme on 27th January 2021
- Students of the department, all semesters, also participated in Library Orientation Programme on Remote Access of college library resources on 16th September 2020 and in Library Orientation Programme on access of E-resources, organized by the college on 22nd May 2021
- Students of all the years participated and attended the interactive counselling session, organized by the department of Psychology on 31.5.2021.
- Soumi Patra, currently in semester 6, participated in a webinar on 'Menstrual Hygiene' organized by Uran Welfare Society on 30th May 2021 and in a webinar on 'Modern Day Education organized by UEM Jaipur on 6th June 2021. She received certificates for both the webinars attended
- Sonia Adhikary, a student of semester-2, is a member of the NSS U nit of GMGC and working for the group 'YAAS Fighters of GMGC.
- Lamia Nasrin, a student of semester-2, had done NPTEL Awareness programme.
- Suparna Sinha, a student of semester-2,
participated in a Quiz competition on World
Environment Day in 2021, organized by the Dept.
of Botany, Surendranath College under DBT-Star
college Strengthening Scheme, Govt. of India and
earned a certificate of Appreciation with 95%
- Participation in Annual Exhibition: On 29th February 2020, Annual exhibition was held, students of all semesters participated wholeheartedly and made different projects to display, which were appreciated by all.
- Nikita Mukerjee, a Second year student presented a paper on 'BioDiversity' in a Students' competition of paper presentation for Young Scientist Award held at East Calcutta Girls College on 19.11.19 and received certificate of it.
- Sem-3 students Rikta Dutta Gupta, Soumi Patra and Sem-1 student Karnali Haldar participated in the Annual Day Programme held on 27th September 2019. Archita Chatterjee and Soma Adak of Sem-3, Safia, Sayantika, Madhuchandra, Tamalika, Sukanya and Rittika of Sem-1, and Trishnanjana and Aritrika of 3rd year Honours acted as volunteers for the food committee in Annual Day Programme held on 27th September 2019.
- Student of the department also participated in making the campus tobacco free zone in July 2019, they made posters and wall magazines on this subject
- Students of all the years participated and attended the seminar on 'Challenges of Pollution Management in West Bengal' held in College on 22nd April2019. They also made posters on Ganga pollution and waste management which were displayed in College.
- Student of the department attended the Blood Donation Awarenes programme on 12th February 2019. Students also acted as volunteer in Voluntary Blood Donation camp held on 19th February 2019. One of our students Rikta Dutta Gupta, donated blood in the camp organized by the College.
A state level webinar was organized on 30.6.2020, jointly by the department of philosophy and the department of Bengali on Feminism: Issues and Concerns through the glasses of Philosophy and Literature. Eminent speakers were Dr. Aditi Dasgupta, Dept. of Philosophy, West Bengal State University and Dr. Sanat Kumar Naskar, Dept. of Bengali, University of Calcutta. Webinar was attended by all the teachers and the students of the department.
- One day seminar was organized on 6th of November 2017, on 'the Lives and Achievements of Great Personalities' on the occasion of 150th Birth Anniversary of Sister Nivedita and Madam Curie. A poster competition was also organized on this occasion. All the students of the Department attended the seminar and participated in the poster competition. First year students of the Department were awarded the first prize for their poster on Sister Nivedita by the speaker and judge Mr. Shishir Roy, the chief editor of Anand Bazar Patrika.
- On 21st of December 2016, the whole Department participated in the College exhibition and made different types of models, posters and wall magazines.
- In January 2017 Annual sports, students participated wholeheartedly and the students of the department won prizes in putting the ball into the basket and lemon and spoon race competition.
- Second year and Third year students of the Department participated in the Antakshari competition held in October 2017.
- An educational excursion was jointly organised on 31st January, 2015 by the Philosophy, History and Political Science departments. The students were taken to Gandhi Ghat and the Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya, Barrackpore as part of this educational trip focusing on the life and work of Gandhiji.
- Wall magazines on "On Gandhi" was made by the students of the Department in April 2015.
- Wall magazine on 'female literacy' made by the students of the Department of Philosophy in April 2015.
- A students seminar was organised on the topic, "Sources of Knowledge As Accepted by the Schools of Indian Philosophy " on 27th March,2015 at 10:30 in Room 5 .The first year students Ishita Bhattacharjee spoke on "Carvaka View on Sources of Knowledge".
- A students seminar was organised on the topic, "Sources of Knowledge As Accepted by the Schools of Indian Philosophy - on 27th March,2015 at 10:30 in Room 5 .The first year students, Oindrila Banerjee spoke on "Mimamsa: Arthapatti as Source of Knowledge" .