(A Three-year B.Sc. (Honours) Course under 1+1+1 Regulations (2009) of University of Calcutta)
Course Outcomes - Chemistry Honours
The Three-year Undergraduate Course in Chemistry Honours enriches the knowledge of the students and equips them for careers as professionals or researchers in the field of basic and advanced Chemistry both in theory and in laboratory works.
- The main objective of this course is to increase the employability quotient of the students by enriching knowledge in the theoretical and technical aspects of this continuously evolving subject.
- The students will learn the principles of physical chemistry and how to apply it in experimental procedures of general Chemistry. Special emphasis is to be given to thermodynamics, electrochemistry and chemical kinetics.
- The students will learn the cutting-edge field of Quantum Chemistry and this chemistry gives idea about the theoretical estimation of different physical and chemical properties of chemicals.
- The chemistry of elements which make up all the material world will be understood from the perspective of the periodic table.
- The phenomena of nuclear chemistry will be understood that has a broad application from generating nuclear energy to the use in medical sciences.
- The students will be acquainted with all the instrumental procedures used to analyse both quantitatively and qualitatively the chemical components of an unknown material. This includes basic principles of solubility product and common ion effect, and basic procedures like titration, salt analysis along with pH metry, potentiometry, conductometry, polarimetry and spectrophotometry.
- The students will have an awareness of green chemistry and ecologically sustainable chemical procedures.
- Students will have understanding the fundamental principles of organic chemistry that include chemical bonding, nomenclature, structural isomerism, stereochemistry, chemical reactions and mechanism.
- Students will develop basic skills for the multi-step synthesis of organic compounds that helps to design and carry out synthesis of different organic compounds in pure form in a well-designed fashion, keeping the focus on principles for effective synthetic strategies, stereoselectivity and catalysis.
- Students will learn molecular symmetry which is very fundamental in spectroscopic study, and they become able to use different spectroscopic techniques in identification of complicated organic molecules.
- Students will have understanding of
biomolecules like amino acid, carbohydrates,
peptides and nucleic acids and function of the
metal ions in different biological processes.
Program Outcomes - Chemistry Honours
The B. Sc. Chemistry Honours Program enables the students -
- To understand basic facts and concepts in Chemistry while retaining the exciting aspects of Chemistry so as to develop interest in the study of chemistry as a discipline.
- To develop the ability to apply the principles of Chemistry.
- To appreciate the achievements in Chemistry and to know the role of Chemistry in nature and in society.
- To apply appropriate techniques for the qualitative and quantitative analysis of chemicals in laboratories and in industries.
- To be familiarised with the emerging areas of Chemistry and their applications in various spheres of Chemical sciences and to apprise the students of its relevance in future studies.
- To develop skills in the proper handling of apparatus and chemicals.
- To be exposed to the different processes used in industries and their applications.
- To become familiar with the different branches of chemistry like analytical, organic, inorganic, physical, environmental, polymer and biochemistry.
- To develop analytical skills and problem-solving skills requiring application of chemical principles.
- To develop the ability to synthesise, crystallize and characterize compounds using laboratory and instrumentation techniques.
- To help in understanding the causes of
environmental pollution and can open up new
methods for environmental pollution control
Program Specific Outcome - Chemistry Honours
- The Honours course in Chemistry lays a good foundation for students keen on progressing towards higher studies. Students become familiar with the different branches of chemistry like analytical, organic, inorganic, physical, environmental, polymer and biochemistry. They acquire the ability to opt for specialisations in these branches in the Post-graduate courses.
CHEMISTRY GENERAL (ELECTIVE SUBJECT)
Students pursuing this stream of study are specially equipped with the know-how and training required to find jobs in industry and heath care sections
- Students will learn the basic principles of physical, organic and inorganic chemistry, and the knowledge gained can be transmitted to the other fields like physics and biology.
- Chemical reaction with proper chemical equations representing both inorganic and organic reactions could be framed and understood by the students.
- Chemical formulae of household chemical like naphthalene and their uses will be learned.
- Students will learn the principals behind industrial process like petroleum industry, fermentation industry plastic and textile industry along with glass and ceramics.
- Students will have understanding in the basic tenets of Environmental chemistry involving Carbon-cycle, Phosphorus cycle and Nitrogen cycle.